Have a question? Please view the Frequently Asked Questions below for answers to common questions. If you still cannot find the answer, please contact the Institute using the Help Desk form. As an alternative, contact us via telephone, facsimile, or post.
Peace Operations Training Institute
1309 Jamestown Road Suite 202
Williamsburg VA 23185-3380
Telephone: +1 757 253 6933
Facsimile: +1 757 253 6954
Frequently Asked Questions
The Institute accepts Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover payments through our secure website (within your account), by telephone (+1 757 253 6933), by facsimile (+1 757 253 6954), or by email (for security reasons email is not recommended). To process payment via credit card, the Institute requires your credit card number, the card’s security code, its expiration date, your complete name as it appears on the credit card, and your billing address. Please note that credit cards sometimes are rejected if they are associated with a country that is not supported by PayPal.
CHEQUE or INTERNATIONAL MONEY ORDER:
Payments made by cheque or international money order must be in US dollars payable through a bank with offices in the United States. Payments using these options should be mailed to the following address:
Peace Operations Training Institute
1309 Jamestown Road, Suite 202
Williamsburg, VA 23185-3380
MONEYGRAM or WESTERN UNION:
MoneyGram and Western Union Money Transfer are both safe methods of payment because they require payment to an individual, not a company/institution, and the recipient must show identification in order to retrieve the funds. To wire money through MoneyGram or Western Union, please use the following payment information:
(Payee) Name: Frank Benner
Take note of the REFERENCE NUMBER (for MoneyGram) or MONEY TRANSFER CONTROL NUMBER (for Western Union) that the carrier provides you, as POTI will need it to collect your fee. Once you send the funds, please provide the Registrar with the Reference Number or Control Number, the amount of funds sent, your complete name, and the city and country from which you wired the funds. This information can be sent securely and safely within your account under the “Payment Options” feature.
ELECTRONIC FUNDS TRANSFER:
Should you wish to make an electronic funds transfer, please request the necessary routing numbers and instructions through the Help Desk.
Please follow instructions provided by PayPal if you select this method of payment during the checkout process. You must have an account with PayPal to use this method without a credit card.
If you choose to order course materials in hard copy, you should receive them within one to four weeks. Transit times vary. Allow two weeks for most US, APO, and international addresses. Allow three weeks for shipments to South America and Africa, as well as UNNY pouch mail. Please note that some countries in South America, Asia, and Africa may incur an additional shipping fee for printed materials. Please contact the Help Desk for further details.
The Institute strives to offer translated editions of as much of our curriculum as possible. Please check our website regularly for the newest course translations or review our newsletter, which can be found on our website.
1. You may have enrolled using a different email address or an incomplete name. All POTI accounts are based on unique email addresses, and using more than one email address means your enrolments will not appear under one account. Please contact us with each email address you have used in the past to enrol and your full name so we may locate you in our records and merge accounts under your preferred email address, which you must provide to the Institute.
2. You did not meet the criteria to pass the course. To view your examination scores from all past courses in which you have enrolled, including those for which you did not earn a Certificate of Completion, please log into your account, click My Courses, select the course title for which you believe you earned a certificate, and scroll down to “Exam Results”. You may also view the number of examination questions marked as incorrect on that same page under View Results.
3. You withdrew from the course. If you withdraw from a course, it will no longer appear under My Courses in your account. If you withdrew from a course that you have completed, contact us so that we can re-enrol you.
If you are experiencing difficulty viewing electronic versions of POTI courses:
Your PDF viewer could be outdated. Please download and install the latest version of Adobe Reader free of charge.
Your Internet connection could be problematic.
In your classroom, click My Courses, select the course title, and do one of the following:
• Click Multiple Files under the course cover picture. This allows you to download one lesson at a time, which is helpful if you have Internet connection issues.
• Right-click on Single File, select “Save link as...” or “Save target as...”, and save the course PDF on your device. You should then be able to open the PDF outside your browser. The Internet browser you are using could be outdated or problematic.
• Ensure that you are using the latest version of your browser. Go to the browser’s website support and download any necessary updates.
• Some versions of Firefox are known to have trouble displaying PDF files. If you are using Firefox, refresh the browser, and then copy and paste the page’s web address (the URL) into a different browser (such as Internet Explorer, Chrome, Safari, etc.).
If these suggestions do not solve the problem, please use the Help Desk to send the Institute a message, noting that this is a technical issue. Please also provide the error message you are receiving, the Internet browser you are using (Firefox, Safari, Internet Explorer, Chrome, etc.), and the version of the browser you are using (if known) so we may best address the problem.
If you would like to receive the email verification again, please request another verification email. This option will not be available if you have already verified your email address. If you need to see what email address POTI has on file, click on My Profile and then click the Change Email link.
Sometimes the verification email will be sent to your email account’s junk mail or spam folder. If you have not received a verification email, check any folders you have labelled as junk mail, bulk mail, spam, etc. for your email verification message. Consult your email service’s help documentation or speak with your email service provider for details about junk mail filtering.
To change your name, email, or password, log into your classroom, click My Profile, and change the appropriate information:
• To change your name, change the Name text box under Student Profile and click Save.
• To change your email address, click the Change Email link and update your information. When you click Save, we will send a confirmation message to the new address.
• To change your password, click the Change Password link and update your information. Your new password will be set when you click Save.
You can choose to print or view your Certificate with your name only or your title and name.
Your Certificate of Completion indicates your successful completion of a Peace Operations Training Institute training course. This training is a tangible record that a student who has passed the End-of-Course Examination has demonstrated three things: first, proficiency in the subject area and the ability to pass an objective End-of-Course Examination; second, a fluency and proficiency in the language in which the course was written; and third, a level of discipline and self-motivation through his or her ability to complete a self-paced distance learning course and pass the End-of-Course Examination.
If you need to make changes to your name on your Certificate of Completion, contact us to request the change. Please offer your name exactly as how you would like for it to appear on your Certificate of Completion.
To order a transcript, please log into your account, click Request a Transcript, and when prompted, enter your home address for shipping and/or billing purposes. When prompted to enter a second address, only do so if you wish to send the transcript to another recipient, such as an employer or a university.
There are two options available:
1) a downloadable official transcript with a seal and signature from the Registrar, available for USD $20.
2) a downloadable and a hard copy official transcript with a seal and signature from the Registrar, available for USD $25 fee plus the shipping cost to send it to you. All payment options and instructions will be available in your account.
Please also note you may access an unofficial transcript. Once in your account, click on Request a Transcript, and click Unofficial Transcript (English Only). You can then save or print your unofficial transcript.
Please note that successful completion of POTI courses does not guarantee employment with the United Nations.
The UN does not have its own military force. To become part of the troops or police who serve on UN peacekeeping missions, please contact your own military organization for further guidance.
You can also seek further advisement and information from the United Nations Peacekeeping website.
To find out whether another school or university will accept courses from POTI for academic credit, please consult the school or university’s Registrar’s office for further guidance.