Have a question? Please view the Frequently Asked Questions for answers to common questions. If you still cannot find the answer, please contact POTI using the help desk form.
Frequently Asked Questions
We also offer discounted and tuition-free programmes. If you qualify for one of these programmes, you will see your special pricing in your account.
POTI accepts Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover payments through our secure website (within your account), by telephone (+1 757 253 6933), by facsimile (+1 757 253 6954), or by email (though for security reasons email is not recommended). Please note we will need your credit card number, the card’s security code, its expiration date, your complete name as it appears on the credit card, and your billing address. Also Credit cards are rejected from time to time if they are associated with a country that is not supported by our payment processor, PayPal.
CHEQUE or INTERNATIONAL MONEY ORDER:
Payments made by cheque or international money order must be in US dollars payable through a bank with offices in the United States and should be mailed to the following address:
Peace Operations Training Institute
1309 Jamestown Rd Suite 202
Williamsburg, VA 23185
MONEYGRAM or WESTERN UNION:
MoneyGram and Western Union Money Transfer are both safe methods of payment because they require payment to an individual, not a company/institution, and the recipient must show identification in order to retrieve the funds. To wire money through MoneyGram or Western Union, please use the following payment information:
(Payee) Name: Vanessa Anderson
Take note of the REFERENCE NUMBER (for MoneyGram) or MONEY TRANSFER CONTROL NUMBER (for Western Union) that the carrier provides you, as POTI will need it to collect your fee. Once you send the funds, please provide the Registrar with the Reference Number or Control Number, amount of funds sent, your complete name, and the city and country from which you wired the funds. This information can be sent securely and safely within your account under the “Payment Options” feature.
ELECTRONIC FUNDS TRANSFER:
Should you wish to make an electronic funds transfer, please request the necessary routing numbers and instructions through the Help Desk.
Please follow instructions provided by PayPal if you select this method of payment during the shopping cart checkout process. An account with PayPal is required.
If you choose to order course materials in hard copy, you should receive them within one to four weeks. Transit times vary. Allow two weeks for most US, APO, and international addresses. Allow three weeks for shipments to South America and Africa, as well as UNNY pouch mail. Please note that some countries in South America, Asia, and Africa may incur an additional shipping fee for printed materials. Please contact the Help Desk for further details.
We strive to translate our entire curriculum into various languages. Please check back to our website for the newest course translations.
1. You may have enrolled using another email address or using an incomplete name. Since all of our accounts are based on unique email addresses, using more than one email address means your enrolments will not appear under one account. Please contact us with each email address you have used in the past to enrol and your complete name so we may locate you in our records and merge accounts under your preferred email address (please provide this as well).
2. You did not meet the course passing criteria. To view your exam score from all past courses, including those for which you did not earn a Certificate of Completion, please log into your account, click My Courses, select the course title you believe you earned a certificate for, and scroll down to Exam Results. You may also view the number of questions marked incorrectly on that same page under View Results.
3. You withdrew from the course. If you withdraw from a course – even a finished course – it will no longer appear under My Courses, in your account. If you withdrew from a course that you've completed, contact us so that we can re-enrol you.
If you believe that is not the case, POTI has these suggestions:
Your PDF viewer could be outdated. Please download and install the latest version of Adobe Reader, which can be done for free.
Your Internet connection could be problematic.
In your classroom, click My Courses, select the course title, and do one of the following:
• Click Multiple Files under the course cover picture. This allows you to download one lesson at a time, which is helpful if you have Internet connection issues.
• Right-click on Single File, select Save link as... or Save target as..., and save the course PDF on your device. You should then be able to open the PDF outside your browser. The Internet browser you are using could be outdated or problematic.
• Ensure that you are using the latest version of your browser. Go to the browser’s website support and download any necessary updates.
• Some versions of Firefox are known to have trouble displaying PDF files. If you are using Firefox, refresh the browser and then copy and paste the page’s web address (the URL) into a different browser (such as Internet Explorer, Chrome, or Safari).
If these suggestions do not solve the problem, please use the Help Desk to send POTI staff a message, noting that this is a technical issue. Please also provide the error message you are receiving, the Internet browser you are using (Firefox, Safari, Internet Explorer, Chrome), and the version you are using (if known) so that we may solve the problem.
If you would like to receive the email verification again, please request another verification email. This option will not be available if you have already verified your email address. If you need to see what email address POTI has on file, click on My Profile and then click the Change Email link.)
If your email service filters junk mail (spam), this verification email may not have reached you. Check any folders you have labeled as junk mail, bulk mail, spam, or something similar for your email verification message. Consult your email service’s help documentation or speak with your email service provider for details about junk mail filtering.
To change your name, email, or password, log into your classroom, click My Profile, and change the appropriate information: • To change your name, change the Name text box under Student Profile and click Save.
• To change your email address, click the Change Email link and update your information. When you click Save, we will send a confirmation message to the new address.
• To change your password, click the Change Password link and update your information. Your new password will be set when you click Save.
Certificate of Completion
You are able to choose to print or view your Certificate with your name only or your title and name.
Your Certificate of Completion indicates your successful completion of a Peace Operations Training Institute training course. This training is a tangible record that a student who has passed the End-of-Course Examination has demonstrated three things: first, proficiency in the subject area and the ability to pass an objective End-of-Course Examination; second, a fluency and proficiency in the language in which the course was written; and third, a level of discipline and self-motivation through his or her ability to complete a self-paced distance learning course and pass the End-of-Course Examination.
Please note most students who successfully complete our courses serve on UN peacekeeping missions.
If you need to make changes to your name on your Certificate of Completion, contact us to request the change, please offer your name exactly as how you would like for it to appear on your Certificate of Completion.
To order a transcript, please log into your account, click Request a Transcript, and when prompted, enter your home address for shipping and/or billing purposes. When prompted to enter a second address, only do so if you wish to send the transcript to another recipient, such as an employer or a university.
There are two options available:
1) To obtain a downloadable official transcript with a seal and signature from the Registrar, available for US$20.
2) To obtain both a downloadable and a hard copy official transcript with a seal and signature from the Registrar, available for US$25 fee plus the shipping cost to send it to you. All payment options and instructions will be available in your account.
Please also note you may access an unofficial transcript, once in your account, click on Request a Transcript, and click Unofficial Transcript (English Only). You can then save or print your unofficial transcript.
o Completion of any 12 distance training courses;
o Completion of an approved resident training course through one of our partner institutions worldwide; and
o Completion of a graduate level research paper under the guidance of an approved Thesis Adviser.
The COTIPSO programme is designed to be completed in approximately 18 months, although most students typically take about 24 months to finish all the requirements.
The COTIPSO course enrolment fees vary, depending on your eligibility programme. The COTIPSO thesis fee is US$1,239.
All courses successfully completed will count toward the 12 required.
The cost of the resident course is NOT included in any fee paid to POTI. Enrolment and payment arrangements are handled directly between the student and the course provider. Please review our COTIPSO webpage for complete information on the COTIPSO programme, including a listing of our Thesis Advisers and approved resident training course sites. Once your thesis fee is paid in full, you will receive your COTIPSO welcome letter, which will contain a copy of the COTIPSO Operating Framework that fully explains the programme.
For your reference, you may view examples of web published theses written by our COTIPSO students.
Should you decide to enrol in the COTIPSO, log into your account, click Study in the COTIPSO Programme at the bottom of the page, select the COTIPSO thesis fee, and click Add to Cart. You can then pay your fees using POTI’s payment options.
Other Frequently Asked Questions
Please note that successful completion of POTI courses does not guarantee employment with the United Nations.
Also, the UN does not have its own military force. To become part of the troops or police who serve on UN peacekeeping missions, please contact your own military organization for further guidance.
Please seek further advisement and information from the United Nations Peacekeeping website.
To find out whether another school or university will accept courses from POTI for academic credit, please consult the school or university’s Registrar’s office for further guidance.